Fifty people have officially taken the pledge to Celebrate Local this holiday season. Some of the most popular actives pledged so far include:
- Buy local, organic foods from a local farmer's market or grocer for my holiday table
- Commit to getting to know at least two of my neighbors
- Give experiences or my time instead of stuff. (Visit King County Waste Free Holidays and King County EcoConsumer for more ideas).
- Home-make gifts such as soap, picture frames and more (Check out the Seattle Free School offerings).
- Shop at a neighborhood or locally-owned store.
- Support local artists and performers. (In South King County, visit sococulture.org and click on calendar for lots of local festive events. Elsewhere, check out local theaters or community centers.)
And we have selected several winners already! LiAne and Laura from Ballard, Chris from Edmonds, and Sarah from NE Seattle have each won a Chinook Book or a Celebrate Green book. More winners will be picked weekly until Christmas. Spread the word!