Oct 3, 2010

Waiting for Superman ( a repost)

[I wrote a review of the education film "Waiting for Superman" and I think it should live here as well. For the full post just follow the link after the excerpt.]

I just finished watching “Waiting for Superman” in the theatre and I have to say that the movie was very well done. I want to talk a bit about some of the major points, a few things done for dramatic effect and what I am taking away from this film.

The movie starts out with the narrator giving a bit of background on his older projects which included a year-long study of teachers as well as his own conflicting views about public schools and the choices he made for his own children. The filmmaker sent his own children to private school “betraying my own progressive views about public schools.” he tells us this so that the audience can take all his points that the film makes with the proverbial grain of salt.

The film follows the struggles of five different families trying to make the proper choices for their children in regards to their educations. It is an homage to hard-working parents facing institutional barriers to a better life for their children. A few of the families are minorities in traditionally under served areas like Washington D.C and Los Angeles.

endithinks.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment