Farm Coordinator – Seattle Youth Garden Works
Seattle Youth Garden Works, a program of Seattle Tilth, is a market farm-based youth employment program that empowers, employs and educates homeless and underserved youth. The farm coordinator is responsible for developing and coordinating all aspects of the operation of a 1-acre organic market farm, including planning, growing, and selling produce, engaging youth in greenhouse and farm work, recruiting and coordinating volunteers, and developing and teaching farm and employment-related lessons to youth.
§ Required AA degree in a related field
§ Desired Bachelors or Masters degree in a related field
§ Two years experience managing a market farm for optimal production, including greenhouse and farm planning, maintenance, and marketing
§ Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds, ages 16-21, facing an array of challenges that include poverty, racism, homelessness, academic challenges, and involvement with the juvenile justice system.
3. Other required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and on a team
- Knowledge of and commitment to organic and sustainable agricultural practices
- Demonstrated ability and success working with people from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles and sexual orientations
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must be able to operate small farm equipment including a rotary tiller, gas powered lawn mower, and weed whacker
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to crouch, lean, and kneel for extended periods of time
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends for farmers markets and other program events.
- This position requires working extended amounts of time within office, farm, greenhouse, and farmers’ market environments.
The farm is located in Seattle’s University District. Time will be split between the farm and Seattle Tilth’s office in Wallingford.
Low to mid $30K plus benefits.
Please submit a resume and letter of interest outlining 1) your experience managing an organic market farm and greenhouse 2) your experience working with homeless or at-risk youth and 3) why you are interested in this position.
4649 Sunnyside Ave N, suite 100
Seattle, WA 98103
Attn: SYGW Search Committee
Seattle Tilth is an equal opportunity employer. People of color encouraged to apply.
(Sustainable Seattle offers up this space for non profits or social entrepreneurs who have missions aligned with our own to advertise, inform and educate. For more information please contact info(at)sustainableseattle.org or nathan(at)sustainableseattle.org.)